Easy Crab Cake Recipe
These crab cakes couldn’t be easier but still taste great with the lemon, chilli, parsley and crab working together so well. This recipe will make six cakes which I think is a great size for two main course portions but you could serve them in twos for a starter for three people. I like to serve them simply with some potato wedges, a green leaf salad and black pepper mayo. I hope you like them.
For the cake mix-
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 medium heat chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 200g 50/50 crab meat
- 10g chopped parsley
- 40g bread crumbs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 table spoons of lemon juce
- 100g mashed potato
- Salt and pepper
For breading the cakes-
- 2 beaten eggs
- approximately 100g of breadcrumbs
- seasoned plain flour
- Put all the ingredients from the cake mix list into a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- With a spoon or your hands mix the ingredients together until everything has come together and is well mixed.
- Taste the mix! Does it need more salt and pepper? Underseasoning is where a lot of people go wrong; with any cooking always check the seasoning when possible.
- Mould the cakes into shape with your hands and place on a plate or tray. Refrigerate for 30-40 minutes to allow them to firm up.
- Put the breading ingredients into individual shallow bowls or dishes.
- After 30-40 minutes take the cakes out of the fridge and carefully cover one with the flour, knocking off any excess flour. Then into the egg, again allowing any excess to come off and then into the breadcrumbs making sure the entire cake is breaded.
- Once you have done all the cakes put them on a tray or plate and refrigerate or you can cook them right away.
- To cook get a frying pan nice and hot, add a small amount of olive or rapeseed oil. When the oil is hot put the cakes in the pan and lightly colour on both sides. Transfer the cakes to a tray and cook at 180°C for 10-15 minutes.